Are you concerned that your child's allergies may mean that you will have to give up your pet? Although rehoming a pet may be necessary if allergies are severe, most children can live with pets if ...View Article
You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.
Euthanasia - Is it time yet?
From Bernard Hershhorn's book: "Active Years for Your Aging Dog." as excerpted fromTed Keasote's book "Merle's Door.
Six criteria before euthanizing a pet: (Chronological age, in itself, is not one)
1) Is the condition prolonged, recurring, or getting worse?
2) Is the condition no longer responding to therapy?
3) is your pet in pain or otherwise physically suffering?
4) Is it no longer possible to alleviate that pain or suffering?
5) If your pet should recover, is he/she likely to be chronically ill, an invalid, or unable to care for itself as a healthy pet?
6) If your pet recovers, is it no longer to be able to enjoy life, or will it have severe personality changes?
Hershhorn goes on to say that if one's answers to all six questions is "yes" then it is time to euthanize your pet. If your answers to question 3 and 4 are "no", then maybe with medication time is still available. However, one must answer three more questions:
1) Can you provide the necessary care?
2) Will such care so interfere with your own life as to create serious problems with you or your family? My own additional input would be to add that if your relationship with your pet is changed or damage by this care then this is also a major consideration.
3) Will the cost involved be beyond your means?
If the answer to these 3 additional questions are 1) "yes" 2) "no" 3) "no" then maybe Hospice care is an alternative for you.
Hospice care is not instead of euthanasia it is an approach that can be used to help you with your pets passing when appropriate. Please let us know if you would like more information or help with this issue.
Dr. Sidorsky and the Mobile Vet of Western Mass is available for gentle home pet euthanasia throughout western Massachusetts including: Springfield, Longmeadow, Holyoke, Chicopee, Northampton, Greenfield, Pittsfield, Athol, Easthampton and other area towns.